LogoDrihm

• 1957990414.jpg
  • alluvione_brasile_800_800.jpg
  • fotoArticolo_3177.jpg
  • stazionebrignole2011_1.jpg
  • stazionebrignole2011_2.jpg
  • viaxxsettembre_1.jpg

DRIHM ICT-Video

DRIHM presents an interesting video explaining the objectives and best practices of the project

frame video

Login Form

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #113

Dear Vladimir

you are right, the personal weather stations do not guarantee per se the same level of accuracy and reliability of the Institutional networks, however i am still convinced that they can be a good complement of of official/authoritative meteorological stations:

See for example here

personal.ce.umn.edu/~foufoula/papers/efg_125.pdf

and

here

www.nat-hazards-earth-syst-sci.net/12/19...ess-12-1961-2012.pdf

In our case we are working to offer on the same interface, for selected cases, the Cb-Tram application + the personal weather station data to make possible for Citizen scientists to learn more about spatio-temporal variability of rainfall processes

All the best

Antonio
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #114

Dear All

here an update about the situation is flooded areas

reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/...oatia_SavaFloods.pdf

"• SERBIA: As floodwaters are slowly receding in the affected areas and displaced people start returning to the their homes, the Serbian Government lifted the country-wide Emergency Situation on 23 May. It was left in effect, however, in the cities of Sabac and Stremska Mitrovica as well as in 16 municipalities, mostly along the Sava and Morava rivers. The number of people killed by the floods has reached 33.

• BOSNIA HERZEGOVINA: The water levels in Brcko, Bijeljina and Samac are stagnant, according to local media reports, while in the rest of the affected area levels are decreasing; road access is still restricted in some areas, however, and power outages are still extensive. According to a UN report, there have been 24 (unconfirmed officially) deaths in the country (as of 20 May) and 46 municipalities have been affected by the floods. It is mentioned that the most pressing concerns are landslides and animal carcasses and debris that pose a health risk. According to local media, a total of 950 000 people were displaced by the floods.

• CROATIA: On 22 May the Croatian Government declared Vukovar-Srijem as a disaster area; as of that day, 11 000 people had been evacuated in the region of Zupanja. Also affected was the neighbouring county of Slavonski Brod-Posavina. The death toll in Croatia remains at two people killed."

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #115

Dear Antonio,
In any case, I strongly support our efforts to get as many citizens scientists involved and contribute in such event. Contribute their observations and measurements can be crucial especially in the region that there are no official measurement. In this way, network is much more better which is important for the official measurement.
Best regards,
Vladimir

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #116

I thought Vladimir's message was a good reminder (thank you!) that we should also thank the contributors to our hydro-meteorology pool on flickr! The scope is naturally not limited to current event in Bosnia and Serbia, but there are quite a number of more informal observations related to it.

I thought the photo albums of IFRC, EUFOR BiH, EU Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection, Caritas Schweiz/Suisse and UNDP BiH drove quite forcefully home the scale of the disaster and its impact.

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #121

Good idea thanks!

Bosnia and Serbia critical event on may 14, 2014 6 years 5 months ago #122

Another update from Reliefweb

"Situation in most affected areas as of 27 May:

Flooding started to recede. * Most cities entering cleanup phase, but several cities continue to be severly affected. * Critical infrastructure compromised including industrial sites near river and excavation mines. * Numerous landslides and subsequent damage to buildings and roads, many road closures. * Agricultural losses in flooded area widespread. * Minor perceived fear of landmines. International response as of 27 May: * High capacity pumping operations continue to be concentrated in Belgrade-Obrenovac. * Further high capacity and other pumping operations in several locations ongoing although now reducing in number. * High capacity water purification facilities being deployed. * Landslides and risk of further landslides being assessed. * Agricultural losses being assessed."

imageshack.com/i/n6fafqj
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by antonio.
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see the Cookie Policy page.

I accept cookies from this site.